Sunday, March 6, 2011

Living Flashdance!!!!!

I´ve gotten myself a new job as a welder in a BRICK factory!!! Essentialy this is a wet dream for me. If you know of my deeply passionate relationship with ´mi blokies´ you´ll understand. On TOP of that being a REAL welder is incredible!!!!

I work Monday to Friday, ten hours a day. The factory, Kallpa, is about a 30min bus/carpool away from where I´m living. My bus leaves at 6am and gets me home at 7:30pm. Long day let me tell ya, but being exahsted is helpfull for that sleeping.

Kallpa is brand new and still under construction. I´m welding componants for BIG ASS machines used  for sorting, sifting, crushing, mixing, and outputting componants of bricks. I have a lot of independance. My boss lets me know the project and I fabricate and weld. He checks in every so often. Supprisingly the language berrier is minamal. The other welders are really great. There are six of us at various locations around the factory and we are all pretty seperate in our tasks, getting together for lunch at noon.  O! And one kid, 18yrs, who is our token painter/grinder. The boys call him Flaco witch means skinny boy; I asked his real name the other day, Adrian.

Right, more hillarious is that I´m pretty sure I´m the first girl they´ve ever seen on a job site, ever. The first couple of days there was a lot of double takes. ´Mujere!¿ Gringa!¿´  Tee hee, glad to be that person for them. Also, a friend of mine from last year works there too. He works driving tractors. He has informed the employees on Kallpa of my ambitious working habbets and my history of block laying. One day they pulled me asside and up top of a new building in progress, speeking rapidly and not understanding I went with them. Turns out they wanted me to prove that I could lay bricks. Easy. The men were shocked, as in taking pictures with their phones, neat! At any rate, I´m slowly becoming a part of that world, and it´s fun :)

I came bake from the beach early today because I need to go to the movies! HA! I walk up to my house and BLASTING, as in can´t hear a dame thing, What a Feeling from the movie Flashdance!!!!! Seriously, you CAN do it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment