Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oxyacetylene Run-in

Often, when welding, it is faster to cut your metal with an oxyacetylene  torch. Essentialy mixing the propper ratios of oxygen and acetylene gases gives you a flame that burns at about 6, 330 degrees F.

On Wednesday at the ´ol factory we were lacking electricity and therefore there was no welding to be had. I cut metal pieces all day. Mostly small bits of rebar that I will eventualy form into roof trusses for airplane hanger type buildings. Definately a teidious and time consuming business.

So I´m cutting right along and have just finished 119 peices of rebar about 5´´ long. I notice a ONE stray rebar peice of to the left of me and THEN. . .I reached for the rebar with my left hand, passing through a WOPPING 6,330 degree cutting tourch. Nice job Emily!!

The good news is that I learned a new ´trick of the traid´with burns witch is to put grese or oil on the affected area imidiatly to avaid blistering. This method is SHOCKINGLY affective. My thumb has been a trooper, taking the biggest hit. Absolutly NO feeling in that one what so ever. Also, visualy NOT the prettyest thing, although I´ve see worser. My other fingers escaped with much less damage, the middle sustaining the most of it. Definatly no more hair on my hand and now I think I´ll need gloves, at least until they heal up a bit.

IN OTHER NEWS: MY house mate Grissel who works in the resterant, that is the house I live in, opens caned food with a knife. I bought her a can opener esterday and she was excited to recive a gift but asked´, ´Will you show me how it works¿? Lesson: it´s the simple things that we ofted forget that are most important. Thank you gooroo Emily.

Worked the beach today. Saturday it was closed off for Tsunami warning stuff. According to residants and the news, the wave arrived at arround 1am Saturday coming ashore about 15meters. Today, the beach is geograficly differant. The water is MUCH higher up and MUCH more rambunctious. There seems to be no change/damage on shore. Work goes about as usual; launch people in kayaks, explain the form, and recive. Neet!

1 comment:

  1. ow. fucking ow. are you really ok?

    what is your mailing address there? I might have to send you something.

    ReplyDelete